Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Changing from Nokia to Blackberry

About 6 weeks ago I decided to upgrade from my Nokia 5800 Express Music to a Blackberry Curve 9380.


I've always been a Nokia user, but everyone kept nagging me to get a Blackberry and I've been checking the Specs of the newly released devices for over 6 months.


I finally decided to go with the Blackberry 9380 and so far I'm really happy with it.


Here are a few of the things I've got to say about the Blackberry 9380

KEYBOARD
At first I though the onboard keypad would be a bit tricky. I was used to typing on the Nokia 5800 onscreen keyboard using a stylus. The Blackberry 9380 does not come with any stylus. The keys on the Blackberry 9380 is slightly larger that those on the Nokia 5800. I got used to the onscreen keyboard within a week.


BUTTONS and KEYS
My first hiccup with my Blackberry was to find the Screen Lock Key. I checked the booklet, I checked all the buttons on the side and at the bottom of the screen, I even went through the whole menu looking for "keylock", "key guard", and "lock", but could not find anything. A friend came to my rescue and showed my the next day that the button is right at the top of the screen. The rest of the buttons were quite easy to understand and I love the Convenience Button.


MENU STRUCTURE
Much to my surprise, the menu was not at all hard to understand. I created folders and moved my Icons to the folder where I want it. Example: In Instant Messaging folder I have my GTalk, BBM, Twitter, Text Messages, Email, Mxit, WhatsApp. In Media Folder I have all my Pictures, Videos, Music, Podcast, Video Camera and Camera. Everything is grouped and my Menu Screen is organised and not over-crowded with icons.


SOUND and PICTURE QUALITY
I must say that I am impressed with the 5MP EDOF (Extended Depth of Field) Camera. My photos are bright and clear and very detailed even when I zoomed in 6x. Video Camera was just as impressive, the picture and sound is fantastic. I love my music. That was the reason I got me the Nokia 5800 Express Music. The sound of my Nokia was great. So obviously I tested the music quality on the Blackberry 9380, and it ROCKS!


TOUCH SCREEN
Oh boy, what can I say, it is SMOOTH! And super responsive. 3.2" HVGA+ Touch Screen, 480×360 Transmissive (TFT) LCD display, with a pixel resolution of 188 dpi.


FEATURES and APPLICATIONS
I love the fact that I can access Facebook 3 different ways, Opera Mini, Facebook App, and the Blackberry Browser. The same goes for Twitter. My emails come to me instantly. I can even open attachments in PDF, DOCX, XLSX, PPT. The document viewer is so user friendly and easy to use. I love the BBM App, its easy and straigh forward.


Overall, I'm very happy with the Blackberry. I really thought I was going to regret changing from Nokia after all these years, but I can honestly say that I am really glad I made the right decision.






P.S.
In September I will be due for upgrade on my Data Contract and I'm considering a tablet instead of a laptop. My current laptop is still in a very good condition. So now I'll be looking up on the specs of the different tablets out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment